We went camping for the first time since we've lived here, over the weekend. We ventured into Rocky Mountain National Park with our friends Mike and Jen, for some awesome hiking and outdoor time!
Here's the truck as we got ready to leave FoCoCo. Keep in mind, we were only staying one night, but we were car-camping, so anything goes!! (I can still see Mike cringing when he saw me walk out of the house with pillows and a makeup bag!)
The view from one of our hikes...a beautiful lake with the mountains in the background, and a perfectly shaded trail to walk on. It was awesome.
Jen and I on the hike. I love Jen's sun hat....gotta get myself one of those! And oh, the Camelbak. What a great invention.
A beautiful picture Mike took of a waterfall in the middle of the forest. It made for a great hike.
These little guys are called "picas" - they are the most hilarious little animals, totally not afraid of people, and they provided many a laugh for us. The little crazies were everywhere, and they are smaller than a squirrel but with twice the energy!
Mike and I kicking it at the campsite. Tired after a long day, but deliriously happy that this is our new life. To spend our weekend in the mountains. It doesn't get much better. I surprise even myself with how much I like it here.
What camping experience is complete without at little s'mores action?
Sunday was spent on horseback. It was a really cool way to see the mountains, and meadows, and trails. Our horses provided much entertainment with their head shaking, and bodily dys-functions, and grass eating! My rearend, however, is still paying the price. Three days later.
We came home exhausted, picked up our exhausted puppy from the boarder*, and went to bed early Sunday. But I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. The weather was beautiful, we got some sun and some rest** and enjoyed the time away together. We were reminded again how lucky we are to have good friends here, and how fortunate we are to live in this part of the country where adventure so readily awaits. Even if the adventure du jour is just a night away in a tent!
*no pups allowed in National Parks...who knew?
**"rest" is really relative....a sleeping bag on hard ground in a tent isn't always restful physically, but it sure is good for the mind to get away!

8 comments:
Please note I am the Spades Champion of Rocky Mountain National Park!
Wow - looks like the perfect weekend! The picture of you and Jen is beautiful! And props to Mike for the waterfall shot - it's pretty spectacular. S'mores - awesome! Horses - awesome! I think I need to move....
Was it really buggy?? I love camping, except for the mosquitos, although they love me!
I love camping. Especially with Julie. Because the mosquitos really love her...and not me so much. She's better than DEET.
Miss you guys. Looking forward to future adventures in the mountains with you.
In our family, Mike is the mosquito magnet! But even he only came home with a bite or two. There were very, very few bugs! Much different than in Florida :) Made for a much more enjoyable camping trip!
Beautiful pictures! Looks like you had a great time! Can't wait to visit and camp out!(sometime!)
Love you both!
april, tom & ella
How awesome! I wish that we lived in Colorado! Man it is beautiful there. Glad you are enjoying it so much. Love you.
Amazing pictures. What a fun time. That seals the deal - I want to be there ASAP!
Jess.............I hope you were able to stop and enjoy a wacky pac on the way home......Jane
Post a Comment