I turned thirty last week and to celebrate such a big occasion my Hubs told me I could pick anywhere I wanted to go. I had been craving a mountain get-away and had seen pictures of Banff (Alberta Canada) on someone's blog last year - so that was my vacation of choice!! It was an amazing trip and for sure my best birthday yet. We had such a great time together and the down time was much needed. We didn't plan much in advance, and therefore felt like we thoroughly enjoyed each moment without being rushed - we literally just did what we felt like each day! I'm glad to be back home after a long week away between Vegas & Banff, but I wouldn't trade these memories we made here for anything! Here's our picture story :)
The views while driving in and around were unbelievable. The Canadian Rockies are so beautiful and rugged.
On my actual birthday, I woke up to coffee in bed and a very leisurely morning at our ADORABLE condo (The Fox Hotel). We set out after lunch for a guided snowshoeing tour and look how gorgeous it was!
It was so remote, and the snow was dumping, and the atmosphere could not have been more perfect. My heart still smiles thinking about how I felt that day. I was just happy.
Halfway through the two hour hike, our guide stopped and made us these fresh maple treats. They were tasty!
She warmed the maple up over a camp stove, then poured it straight onto the fresh snow which kind of froze it - and then we just curled it around a popsicle stick and it made a little chewy treat. Mmmm! Oh, and we warmed up with hot chocolate before hiking back.
While we waited for the maple treats, our guide got out these plastic sheets she brought and we took turns sledding down a giant hill on our tummies. Mike had a good wipe-out!
I'm not usually one for this kind of adventure but I went for it - being thirty and all - and I cackled the whole fast ride down. It was so much fun. Freezing, but a blast.
Look at my man! And look how deep the snow was on the log he plopped down on. I love me a blizzard!!
The day after, we went on the highlight adventure of the trip - dog sledding! This is us with the dog sled team under the continental divide sign, on the border of Alberta and British Columbia. Such a cool feeling to be so high up in the mountains, snuggled into a sled, being pulled by the most adorable wild dogs ever - of course with our musher on the back. It was the best thing I think I've ever done :)
View from the sled. Also in a blizzard! The dogs are so crazy because they bark and bark and bark wildly until the sled starts moving, and then it's dead silence. So peaceful. They just want to go!
Out and about in the little shops in Banff. It's a cute little mountain town with fun restaurants, shops & views.
This was the restaurant/bar where Mike and Nate rang in the new millennium - they took a drive up to Banff in December 1999 and celebrated here. How cool to come back together!
We had some really sweet dinners together, just tucked away in corner tables talking and laughing and having the best time. This little place was one of our faves!
The sun came out our last couple days there and so we got to do lots of walking around town, we stopped in coffee shops, saw two movies at the tiny theater, and ate too much good food.
Our last day we took a gondola ride to the top of one peak and enjoyed the magnificent views (in sub zero temps - brrrr!).
View of the town of Banff. You can see the main strip down the middle, and our hotel was located on that main strip. We were able to walk everywhere from where we stayed which was awesome.
So that's our trip! Happy Birthday to me :)
6 comments:
Happy 30th Jess!!! You wear it well! And your vacation looked AMAZING! Here's to a great 30th year for you.
love this. the trip looks perfect. happy 30, ca!
Oh my gosh, what an awesome trip!! I'm so glad you guys could get away just the two of you and enjoy a new place. Love love love all the pictures! And I'm way jealous of the dog sled! Love you!
looks like an amazing trip, to start off an amazing year, of course!!
Great trip! It's so beautiful. Quite a change to go from Vegas straight to Banff. I'm glad you had such a happy birthday trip. Love you!
-Mom
What a fun birthday! Welcome to the 30 club :)
Post a Comment