2.08.2009

Field Trip

Last weekend some of my friends and I went on a little field trip to see ALPACAS!! A guy I work with owns an alpaca farm, and I'd been wanting to go out for awhile. It was so much fun. They are entertaining, sweet little creatures. Kate went crazy over the alpaca yarn she was able to buy at their farm, and of course I went crazy over the two dogs that guard the animals from coyotes and mountain lions (they live in the foothills where these are real threats).


Please look at the crazy eye!!

Love this guy's expression, reminds me of Sarge for some reason.

The dogs' names are Smith & Wesson - how awesome is that, and how perfect is this sign!!!
And here are the guardians....150+ pound brother Great Pyrenees. They are SO SWEET! And whenever they think their herd is threatened, one of them patrols the fence perimeter while the other one herds all of the alpacas into the shed. My friend that owns them says he didn't do a single day of training with them - he brought them in at 8 weeks of age, and they slept outside with the herd from day one and their instinct is just natural. I think that's awesome! At the same time, they are total people-dogs, and were super friendly to us. Julie, I know you're going crazy about how cute they are!! :)
Mick with his male alpacas. They are separated by gender for obvious reasons.
Kate getting to feed them alfalfa pellets - a delectable treat in the alpaca world! They are all really gentle - but watch out - they do spit at each other if they get feisty and you can be caught in the middle if you're not careful!



What a great, and different, way to spend a Sunday afternoon! Price fam, Mick is expecting new babies in March so maybe we'll have to make a trip out to see them :)

Posted by Picasa


5 comments:

April said...

They are so cute! What a fun day for you :) Those dogs are absolutely gorgeous!

Natalie "The Pampered Mom" said...

oh my gosh, I want one of those dogs!!

Anonymous said...

the one that reminds you os sarge is totally him doing the air sniff even though his sniffer doesn't work!

such a fun day!!

Josh and Liz said...

I'm up for a trip to see alpaca babies! :) I'm sure Laney will LOVE them!

Julie said...

So, it's funny that you said that one alpaca reminds you of Sarge because I almost always say that any random animal I see reminds me of Gunnar. Noa thinks I'm crazy.