9.12.2008

5 Years

Happy Anniversary to us!!
I can't believe that these pictures were taken FIVE years ago!!

Make no mistakes about it, marriage is work. It's been a lot of give and take, ups and downs, hard times and blissful times - and all within a day's time sometimes :) I have learned so much about commitment. Respect. Humility. Perhaps the greatest blessing for me in marriage is having someone who isn't afraid to hold the mirror up sometimes - to let me see myself, and then offering me the grace to try again.

We have been through a lot already in our short five years together. We have moved three times, changed jobs multiple times, built a house from scratch, sold a house that we thought would never sell, endured family hardships together, learned to budget strictly (and not so strictly sometimes - sorry babe!), raised a puppy, lost friends to moves and personality changes, and traveled around the world together! In all senses of the word, we have been on an adventure together that is unlike anything else we've ever experienced. And it has been unbelievably fun! I can't count how many times I've laughed until I was crying!

And my, how good you are for me, Babes. And TO me! You are such a man of honor, you are dependable, your word is good in every way, I am so proud of how hard you work, and you take such good care of me. One of your greatest joys is making me happier than I've ever been, every chance you get.

Five years ago this minute, I sat below the chapel in a tiny room with my best girlfriends around me, and prepared to walk down that aisle to you. I remember being giddy, but not at all nervous. You are in many ways, the best thing that's ever happened to me. And as I commited to you then, I commit to you now that I'm in this for good. No matter what, and for however long I have you on this earth, I am yours. Here's to a million more moments, and countless adventures, as Team Apostle!!

It just keeps getting better.


Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Julie said...

Happy 5, Team Apostle! We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Mike & Jess! You guys are a great example of putting your whole selves into your marriage partnership. Love you both!

Mom/Carol

Liz said...

Yea! 5 years! I never thought it would last that long :) Just kidding. Its been so fun watching you learn and grow since you have been married to Mike. I remember those single days in College well still, and what an amazing girl you were then. I remember sleeping over on your couch reading "Lover of my Soul", by your recommendation, wishing that I would meet the man of my dreams. Or meeting at Barnes and Noble and pouring my heart out to you and asking for advice. Or...going to Konnection conferences and introducing you to a nice lad named "Mike". You were always such a good mentor and friend...and you still are of course. Its been fun being friends throughout the years!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on #5! You summed up marriage and your last 5 years perfectly. And I'm sure you'll be just as happy when you're celebrating #55 with Mike! Our best wishes to you both! (There is hope for us after all :) !

Jake and Liz said...

Congrats on 5 years!!! It seems like just yesterday that you were calling me from the cruise boat telling me you were engaged!!!! Seems like yesterday:) You two are so great together!

April said...

5 years, yay! What a wonderful way to explain your love and commitment for your husband, and him for you. It is obvious you two are meant to be together :)
Love you!

The Peterson family said...

Happy Anni, Jess! You did such a true and honest description of marriage. I can totally agree with you.
Very sweet. I wish I could raise a glass of wine with you to many more to come!

Lee and Jod said...

Jess and Mike,
I remember feeling chills that day! You are two peas in a pod. I'm so proud of you guys with all you've been through, you're a real example to me!

erika d. said...

Your post was so beautiful and it made me tear up thinking of how fun it was to be a part of that day with you. Congrats, Mike & Jess!

Traci said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Marri said...

Awe shucks Jess ;)