Here are some of the funnier things we saw while in Japan!
If you enlarge this picture, you will see that what is looking back at you from the crab soup is a pair of EYES! Yes, there was a full crawdad in there. Thankfully it was not moving. But I had to move the bowl so it wasn't looking at me!! Didn't seem to bother Mike or Noa, who ate the soup without a second thought.

Thankfully you can get sushi even on "ordinary days."
And thankfully they will prepare it with affection.
We did see this herd of dachshunds running through the streets of Tokyo. Some were leashed, others not. Julie and I got quite a kick out of it!

This is a close up of the bidets (pronounced "bid-days") that are everywhere in Japan! You can spray your backside off when you're done using the bathroom, and the orange stop button is for when you're done with the behind-sprayer. And better yet, you even have a flushing sound option for those, uh, embarrassing moments. The toilet seats are heated, by the way, and Colorado should invest in some of these! Julie started laughing when she heard me snapping pictures in the bathroom :)

This is a fake food display. They're outside all of the restaurants, so you pick your food based on what it looks like. Which is good for those of us who can't read the kanji descriptions of the food!

This is a sign inside a bathroom stall. Enlarge it to get a good laugh. I love the Japanese translations, they are so funny.

Enlarge for a better look at the sign on the right - it says "rord repair work." Hmm.

"Western Style" means sit-down toilets, instead of squatters, which is the most common Japanese toilet besides the bidet.

Amrican waffles, mmmmm!

No explanation needed. We laughed outloud. And no, I didn't try them!

The back of his shirt says, Perfecto! Which would describe his hair-do, don't you think?

I told the Hammers if I ever live in Japan, I want to drive a Dahaitsu Naked. WHAT in the world!?

This is a Noah mini-van.

McDonald's has expanded their menu to include the shrimp burger. Blech.

On the left, my favorite Okinawan cuisine, Taco Rice. It is just like it sounds. Rice with taco meat, cheese, lettuce, sour cream. What's not to like? On the left, my Japanese staple - french fries. They were everywhere and I ate a lot of them, seeing as how I don't like sushi.

Love the spelling.

I don't want to know what the remaining 19% includes.
A shout out to my high school, with the QP's Island dolls!
This is one of the vending machine brands. Coffee smile, anyone? Good coffee does make me smile.
This is affectionately known as the "squatty potty." I did use one. It isn't fun.
And that's Japan in a nutshell.
At least the funnier side of Japan. I loved it!!
5 comments:
Is this wrong to laugh at? Man, its funny though. Thanks for those pics...I love the Japanese-English translations. Priceless!
Those look like so much fun. I think I would spend the entire time just laughing...which I'm sure you did!! Eewww...the shrimp burger? I think I'll stick with my double cheeseburger, thank you very much.
FUN pictures!!
Love you!
april
SQUATTY POTTY!?!?!?! Sounds like Ensenada! Love the guys 'perfecto' hair...i like that every morning...generally it make less of a 'perfecto' statement and more of a 'hit the snooze'
LOVE ALL THE PICS!
I would be snapping pics in the bathroom too! You gotta love foreign toilets and signs.
America,
It is worth the trip out here just for the toilet experience.
And I'm not talking about the squat-pots.
Post a Comment