
My story with Lucy begins Sunday morning.
While walking into work at 6:30am, I noticed a nervous dog running around the parking lot. I stopped and called her, and she ran right up to me wagging her tail and licked my hand. She was wearing a collar but no tag. I felt awful, as stray dogs make me so sad, leaving her there to go into work. I knew she was lost and confused. That evening when I walked out, there she was laying in the dirt, wagging her big tail at everyone who walked by. I offered her water, which she gulped down, and then when I opened my truck door she leaped in. She curled up in a ball on the driver's seat, and looked at me with "don't leave me here" eyes - and how could I make her get out?
So home we went, and I introduced her to Sarge and they loved each other. Ran around playing fetch, wrestling, and licking each other, and then I fed and watered her and she spent the night outside in the yard. Monday morning I made what seemed like 100 phone calls to shelters, trying to figure out what to do with a found dog. All turned out to be dead ends, and sadly, no one was very helpful. I was near tears, because I knew I couldn't keep her but didn't want to send her to the pound where I knew most likely she'd be put down. So while lamenting over my situation with Julie, my go-to dog guru, she suggested I take the dog to my vet to have her scanned for a micro chip.
I took her to the vet, where they scanned her and thankfully she had a chip with an ID number. We were able to call the 800-number for that company, and they gave us her owner's contact info and her name - Lucy! As soon as I said her name she leaped up and wagged her tail, it was like finally someone knew who she was. I called her family and within ten minutes her dad called us back. She had jumped their fence two days ago, and he'd about given up on ever finding her. She had traveled about three or four miles to the hospital where I found her. So Lucy and I waited at the vet, where she played happily with the other puppies, and her dad came and met us there to pick her up.
It was one of the most moving things I've witnessed, a dog reunited with its owner. Lucy jumped and licked and yelped in excitement when he walked in and said her name. He just hugged her and scratched her, and off they went together.
Needless to say, there wasn't a dry eye in the office this morning, and I felt so satisfied knowing that sweet puppy was back home with the family that loves her.
10 comments:
That's my lovey. Saving the day for the little lost puppy. Way to go! - Mike
That ending reminds me of the time you lost your Maggie, Jess!
Remember how happy Maggie was to see you that night?
I am sure Lucy appreciated your help as much as her family did!
Yaya
This is so sweet. I was thinking of the time we lost Maggie, too. It's such a helpless feeling, but the joy when you find them is overwhelming! Way to go, Jess...you made a family's day!
-Mom
How fun is that?!!! She looks like a sweetheart... except for that part where she's tackling Sarge... but I get the feeling that's all in fun! :)
What a neat story. You're a hero, Jess! I would've been bawling, too watching the reunion! I'm sure Lucy and her Dad are so grateful!
I am crying, and My nose is running and..you HAVE to send that story...just like you wrote it.... into the Readers Digest!!!!! Ma-2
How sweet - although I was getting excited at the possibility of Sarge getting a sister... :)
Jess,
You are a true hero. I'd be crying too except that I'm a guy...so if I was crying, I'm not gonna admit it to all your friends who would probably see it as weakness in me, though they certainly appreciate it as a sensitive and sweet quality in women like Kate and Potato Junk Mom. I don't understand the double standard. Why do they have to be so judgemental? I have feelings too, okay...and if I were crying right now (which I'm not), would that make me so weak...maybe I'm just special, okay?
Oh my gosh! I'm totally crying. I would be so devistated if we lost King. You are such a great friend to dog and their owners for not giving up.
Thank God you followed thru with this! Think of all the dogs that people just hustle on by and don't take the time to help them out -- way to go! As a fellow animal lover I appreciate your efforts! :)
Post a Comment