So my life at work is always interesting. People really never cease to amaze me with their thought processes. For example...
I pick up the phone the other night, and the caller says something along the lines of, "I'm calling to check and see if my sister has checked in..." Silence. Me: "And that would be...who?" If you could hear the silence, it's as if they think I can read minds and might have some clue who their family member might be. Why not start the conversation with, "I'm wondering if Jane Doe is in the department?" Just a thought.
Or...
The patient who asked to speak to the charge nurse (yes, that would be me) in the waiting room, after having waited "too long". I asked what they were checking in for - they said dental pain. Last I checked, not life and death. In my most polite charge nurse voice I explained that we were extremely busy, that I was sorry about how long they'd been waiting...but that regardless of where they were in line to come back to an ER room, every patient sicker than them that checked in after them would still be seen first. They never like that answer because let's face it, they all think they're dying. Her response? "And how do you know the infection won't go up into my head and I'll drop dead in the waiting room?!" Well, ma'am, not likely. Now please sit down.
Or...
The drunk who gets brought in by ambulance after having been beat down at a bar, but tries to convince all of us that "he didn't do anything and this big man just came up and hit me over the head." And I'm supposed to believe that because...? Usually people don't beat each other up for no reason.
Ah, I am glad to have a few days off work to spend my time with the more intelligent side of society. The drama gets to me after awhile.
6 comments:
So if Noa is Turk, and Mike is JD, does this make you Carla. How about Julie? Maybe she should be TCW? *wink, wink, Julie*
You should definitely tell more of these stories. It's so much fun to read them...although exasperating for you I'm sure.
Yeah, I think I'm Carla. Maybe Julie could be the cute "gift shop girl"? What do you think? :)
Oh, and I have plenty more stories where these came from. People never cease to amaze me. Stay posted... :)
These stories always make me feel better about myself. *happy sigh*
Do tell more!
Noa thinks I'm one of the gyno-babes.
soooo.... I might know that drunk guy :)
Maybe that patient with the tooth pain hhad just watched "Frazier"...In a recent episode Niles had tooth pain but there was nothing wrong with his tooth..long story short--he had to have heart surgery!!!
Post a Comment