7.15.2013

Summer trip to MO :: Part 1.

Most years, we've gone home to MO for a visit around the Fourth of July.  I don't know why we usually pick that timeframe, but this year was no exception.  It's so freaking hot in MO in the summer but the allure of the green green landscape somehow always convinces me it's the best time of year to visit.  If you've lived in perpetually-brown northern Colorado, I guess it makes sense.  Anyway since Mike had to work a long stretch over the time I wanted to go home, and I'd rather NOT travel alone with Brady at this wild stage of his life (hello, mobility & budding independence) - I convinced aka offered for Kate to come home with us.  Was so grateful she did, and we had a wonderful time together despite the baby wrangling episodes & the copious amounts of bug bites we both came home with :)

We started our travels early on Saturday morning, which I've now discovered is the best time of day to fly with a toddler.  He hadn't been wrangled enough that day to resist it too much on the plane (whereas when we flew home at 3pm the next week, he had HAD IT with being contained by the time we boarded.  Bad combo...more on that later).  We of course brought Earl along.

The worst part of the flight was waiting to take off.  We boarded early because with a small child you can, but I'm not sure that's the best idea as it just gives you a longer time in a small area to keep him contained/entertained.  He wanted DOWN.

Not long after take-off though, he fell asleep easily and took his morning nap in my arms.  Which was so sweet, because he doesn't snuggle much anymore and certainly NEVER falls asleep on me anymore.

We met my aunt Susie & uncle Brad in St. Louis for a quick lunch on our way to Columbia.  It was so great to see them & Brady had an absolute blast digging all Susie's ice out of her water cup.  Which is what he's squealing about in the photo below.

LOVE.

When we arrived in Columbia we met my family at none other than Walmart for some baby-food & family grocery shopping.  We were so excited to see everyone, but at this point Brady was more interested in running all over the store than being carried :)

That afternoon he finally got to stretch his legs when we got out to Mom & Dad's.  We stripped him down to a diaper to beat the oppressive Missouri heat/humidity & he was very happy to adopt the backwoods dress code.  This monkey LOVES to be outside so he was in heaven walking all over the yard with his Papa.

This place is heaven, seriously - I love the peacefulness of their farm.


Hanging out with aunt Yaya.

One evening after Brady was long asleep, we all crowded onto the front porch & watched Charlie and Mindy shoot off a million fireworks.  It was awesome!  The little girls enjoyed their sparklers.  I love the Fourth in MO!!

Coffee with my Laney.

Laney was very sweet to Brady & helped me keep him entertained a lot.


I just about died when he laid his head onto Charlie's hand during lunch after church Sunday.  He was so tired & ready for napping, but still had the sweetest attitude!  Good baby.

Like a good uncle, Charlie introduced B to eating ketchup straight out of the container.  He loved it.  Thank you Charlie :)

He loved the jumping on the bed (or being thrown onto the bed) session with aunt Ruthie!

And Papa is so funny!

I love nothing more than getting the three babies together - it's just so cool to see our family growing with these little people and they are really sweet to each other (so far...and most of the time). 

There's always one thrasher.

We loved our morning walks in the country.  Brady tried to eat the dandelion instead of blow on it, but oh well.  He'll learn.  This flat smile is still my favorite expression of his.

Monday my bestie April came up from Rolla with her kiddos to hang out with us.  We took full advantage of the mall play area and the kids had a blast!  Her babies are growing up so fast (ah! mine too)...they are really well behaved, darling kids.  I'm so proud of her being a great mama!


We took the kids on a carousel ride at the mall.  Brady LOVED it & proceeded to point and grunt at it every time we walked by it the rest of the day.

Love you, A.

What's vacation without a bath in the sink??

By a twist of luck, I also got to see my sweet Erika when she unexpectedly was in town during our visit.  We spent a great morning together and it was wonderful to catch up and play with Brady and talk all things mama-and-baby.  Love you E!!

Tuesday afternoon we made a quick stop through campus to see my Mizzou!  I never get tired of going to the columns, and it was really fun to introduce Bubs to them!  The last time he was "there" was when I was 11 weeks pregnant (Ruthie's graduation) :)


He can't wait to be a Tiger!!


And what's a trip to Missouri without a few photos of my all time favorite tree.  I know it's weird to have a favorite tree, but seriously.  This says "home" to me more than anything else in MO.  It's so beautiful and is in my most early memories of being a kiddo out in the country.

A million more photos coming up...stay tuned for Part 2!

No comments: