3.23.2008

Easter Memories

I was just thinking today about one of my favorite Easter memories as a child. We raced home from church highly anticipating our awaiting baskets (The EB came while we were at church! What a smart rabbit!).......and found ourselves on a scavenger hunt with little yellow Post-Its all over the house, yard, Ellen's house, and finally leading us to the baskets. My bunny rabbit FiFi's cage! FiFi was a big fat white bunny that I had for a (?) few years growing up. She was humongous. I think originally her destination was rabbit stew, but we saved her. Anyway, there sat our Easter baskets on her cage. Seems so funny to retell the story now, but it's the stand-out Easter memory in my mind from childhood. I was so thrilled by the scavenger hunt!

Some other fun memories from Easter:

1. Peeps! Disgusting little sparkly chickens of obnoxious colors, which my Dad would devour as we stood around gagging and shrieking! I think he liked them more because of how we all reacted than how they really taste.

2. Sunrise service at church - getting up early when it was barely light, and still cold, and having a beautiful service...and then enjoying a GREAT breakfast with our church family!

3. That green sticky Easter-basket grass.

4. The sun warming up the afternoon enough that we'd change out of our Easter dresses into shorts and bask in the not-quite-warm-enough-yet-sun feeling like it was almost Spring.

5. Plastic colorful eggs in the baskets filled with candy!! Oh, the anticipation of what your eggs would hold! My hopes: Reese's PB eggs, malted milk eggs (!!), pink jelly beans, or SweeTart chicks.

6. Those one-piece Easter jumpsuits Ellen made all of us girls one year. Remember those?! :) (no offense then, Ellen - they were cool back in the day!)

7. Dyeing eggs at the kitchen table with newspaper spread under our masterpieces.

8. Eating deviled eggs for the next week with all our colored boiled eggs!

9. Taking a Price Family picture outside in the sun, in our new Easter outfits.

I have such sweet memories of this holiday growing up, though then I didn't have as broad a concept of what the holiday really meant. Then it was just fun and candy and eggs and early church and new dresses. Today when I sat in church and praised God for new beginnings, I was truly cognizant of what it's about, and what has been done on my behalf. Happy Easter, y'all.


"...I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." --John 10:10

5 comments:

April said...

What a great post! Happy Easter to you!
Christ is Risen!

Marri said...

Fun post! Love all the memories--I want an Easter jumpsuit!

We had an egg hunt every year at my G-ma Candy's house! Fun times.

Anonymous said...

Jess, i love this post! I love Easter , so its cool to see some of your memories of it. Oh, and my dad loves peeps too. SICK!

He is risen indeed!

April said...

Tom loves Peeps too!! They totally gross me out! He was eating some yesterday as I watched in complete disgust.
Ugghh.

The Peterson family said...

Love reading your memories!!! It is fun to think back to happy childhood times when we were so innocent in our jumpsuits!