6.30.2006

The Final Shift


We finally made it!
Wednesday night was Mike's last shift of residency. Ever. Noa, Julie and I took over three pizzas to help him celebrate his newfound freedom. No more Shands. No more conference. No more pager. It's on to bigger and better things. I feel like in some ways our real life is starting now - now that he's no longer a "student" of anything. We are free to do what we want, when we want, and where we want. It's the best feeling - for him and for me. There were many times in the course of his three year residency that I wondered if we'd make it to the end. Residency has got to be one of the most stressful things on a person, and certainly on a young marriage. The time constraints alone are daunting. But the look on his face Wednesday night was worth every second that was hard in the past. He was elated - and he should be. He worked his tail off to get this far.
I am so proud of you, M. Way to go. You're free!

2 comments:

potato junk mom said...

I prescribe the HAPPY DANCE!!!!

April said...

Way to go, Mike! We are so so proud of you!